Monday, November 23, 2009

Fall Art Piece is Done!!

This is Edyta Sitar's "Fall Memories," and it is finished! Just in time for the fall to be over! It was great fun, and I learned a tremendous amount---more as I am asking questions about techniques, etc.
The wonderful accomplishment with this piece was that all of it was free-motion quilted, and I have gotten more confident with that! Unfortunately, none of the stippling really shows up in these photographs. I stipplied using very small strokes and a thread color which blended into the background around all of the leaves, basket, and pumpkins. The orange inner border has a leaf pattern sewn around it, and the outer border was stippled with large strokes and metallic copper thread.

Most of the applique work, however, was sewn with my walking foot. I had trouble with the tackiness on the back of the applique pieces as the needle was moving through. The walking foot is an amazing piece of engineering. Oh, so many things to learn......

Now, on to those few (very few this year) Christmas projects!!

No comments: